Blizzard reflection

It is Blizzard week. Plenty of snow all over New England. I have been home with the babies warm and safe for the past few days. It feels good to be home with them, play with them, feed them, clean after them, love them, cuddle with them and just sit back and observe them.

I have been working full time for almost 2 months now.  I have to say that I do enjoy teaching... There are some days tougher than other days. Teaching is hard work but it is rewarding when you watch a student learn or a student smile. I do have to say that I was nervous returning back to the full time work field. Being home with the twins brings me joy, comfort, love and just watching my kiddos smile makes me happy. In spite of that, returning back to work brings back my INDEPENDENCE. This word can mean different things, but as for me it means doing me. It means that I am waking up earlier, getting ready, putting on some make up, getting the twins ready, feeding them, feeding myself, planning for the day, driving to work, walking into the classroom and planning for a good lesson, planning that all students will be silent and behave, planning on doing my best, planning on 3pm and get ready to pack up and leave work to pick up the twins, feeling excited while driving to see my kids, watch them smile, watch them give me a hug and vice versa. Yes, it is harder being a working mom, maybe I should say it is more time consuming, everything just takes up more time, more effort. Knowing that you are earning your own money, that you are working not just to make a living but also to make a difference, feels good.  It is tougher to leave the house and enter the work force but to know that I can still have nights, weekends, holidays and summers off brings me peace. Peace of not feeling guilty, not feeling that I am not spending enough time with them, with my kiddos. Of course, I am spending enough time with them, I spent over a year with them at home, and now the time we spend together it is quality time, it is called being a working mom. Like I said, being a mother has changed my life, especially a twin mother because everything is double duty but I love this life and love my family. I wouldn't have it any other way. Being a mother is amazing but also returning back to work brings me back to independence. While I am writing this, they are taking their nap and my house looks like a mess but I learned not to care. Not to pay attention on why my house looks like a mess, I have children and that is what they do.. It is learning that not everything has to be neat anymore, spic and span. I just learned to take it day by day, moment by moment. This Blizzard has given me a chance to reflect, a chance to breathe, a chance to not get out of the house and stay warm and safe. It has given us a chance to be us... Again going back to that word, it has given us a chance to be "independent".