Latina(x)

Latina(x)


My ancestors made me who I am
I might speak Spanish
I might speak English
I might speak Spanglish
I might code switch and not even notice
I might cook white rice and beans, arroz blanco con habichuelas
I might dance Bachata, Merengue and sometimes Salsa. 
I might dance some Hip-Hip, R & B and some Reggae
I might be quiet and when upset I can get loud


When we hear the beat to the drum, we dance it proud.
When my mom says mira you really have to look and listen. 
When my abuelas cooked you had to sit down and eat all of your food and con mucho gusto. 

I have African ancestors, European ancestors and a small percentage of Native American in me.

In my family

En nuestra familia



When I hear the ocean, I hear my ancestors
I hear the voices that I’ve never met
I hear them in Spanish 
I hear them in English
I hear them in Spanglish

I hear them in their indigenous languages.
I hear them talking, I hear them code switch between languages

The sound, the power, the strength 
Of voices, of languages, of learning each and every day

The power of unity, of love, of courage

The oppression

The struggle

The tears

It's confusing how my identity can be confusing

I can say that I am Dominican

I can say that I am Latina(x)

I can say that I am American


I have African ancestors, European, and a small percentage of Native American in me

But my Ancestors made me who I am 

My languages, my identity, my family

Made me who I am

When I walk...I walk it proud

When I dance... I dance it proud because my ancestors told me to make them proud.

The struggle

The tears

The courage

My ancestors made me who I am....



-DEIDANIA NOV. 4TH 2019